Scallta Media are now inviting submissions for inclusion in the next Scaldy Detail anthology
The Scaldy Detail 2013 will be the fourth in a series of books that have continued to delight readers and reviewers alike.
Said Colm Tóibín at the launch of the last edition, "There are moments when you’re reading this of absolute pure recognition, where you can enter someone else’s spirit and be with them on that journey. In reading this anthology, you get that sense of things being named for the first time, being placed in a context for the first time, of being offered to the outside world. It was an absolute delight to read this."
The guest editor of the 2013 edition will be Maggie Breen (an Anam Cara writer-in-residence], whose debut collection of poetry Other Things I Didn’t Tell was published by Scallta Media.
Said Paula Meehan of Maggie's work, “Maggie Breen digs deep into personal memory to unearth a vivid picture of a rural childhood, to reclaim that childhood in language, and to reinhabit with power and grace the landscape of those early years. She gives us poems rich in promise: even as she unpacks the complex baggage of a young Irishwoman determined to take the world on her own terms, she succeeds in celebrating the very blessings of that difficult path. These poems bring to mind Kavanagh’s beautiful phrase – To look on is enough / In the business of love.”
Guidelines for submissions are:
* submissions by email only please to firstname.lastname@example.org
* the subject field of the email should read 'The Scaldy Detail 2013'
submissions accepted until midnight October 4th, 2013
* there is no submission fee
* either the work submitted or the author should have a Wexford connection
* only one fiction/memoir piece OR a maximum of 4 poems per author will be accepted
fiction/memoir pieces limited to 2000 words
* each poem limited to 40 lines and should be submitted in its own document as an attachment
* document types accepted are Word, PDF and of course plain text file
* only one email per author will be accepted and all works submitted should be attached to that email
* author name, email address and the name and genre of each piece submitted must in the body of the email
* we regret we are not in a position to offer selected writers a financial reward, but each selected author will receive one complimentary copy of the anthology
* copyright remains with the authors
* simultaneous submissions to other publications are welcome but if work is selected for publication elsewhere please notify Scallta Media by email immediately
* selected authors only will be notified by December 1st and the anthology will be launched in January, 2014 in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, Ireland
* we will only acknowledge submissions by email request
And finally, a note from our guest editor on what she is looking for, “As a reader I tend to be drawn to a wide variety of styles and themes, so anything goes in that respect. Overall what gets my attention are pieces which tell a story, show me something, give me a window into a bigger story or world, with considered, clear, sharp language. I want to be able to relate to the characters, to understand what the voice in a piece is saying, and to have a feel for their motivations and emotions.”
Best of luck, and we're looking forward once again to reading your work, Paul O'Reilly